Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A City Walk

Musical Swings

I love to have a destination for my walks and this was a different route from one I usually take. I'll start at the end so you can enjoy the whimsy of these swings. It is impossible not to smile as the movement of the swings creates music. I sat a while and pumped my legs - the real pleasure comes when more than one swing moves. Click and listen.

Sunshine in a Flower

Walking on a sunny spring day is energy-boosting. These sun-soaked flowers started me off on my trajectory.

St. James Church

My final destination was actually the Belgo building, which at one time was a department store and then served as small factories for the garment business. The first time I was in the building many years ago you could smell the furs which were being cut and sewn into coats, hats and other wearables. Now the majority of spaces are rented out to art galleries and studios. The study group on Aboriginal art was meeting there to see an exhibit.

On the way I passed St. James United Church (above). As I don't pass by here I often, I still get surprised by the open square in front of the church. For most of my life the front was obscured by store fronts which were removed in 2006. Now the church has a presence.

Corner Building

I took a little detour and walked up to John F Kennedy Blvd and St. Urbain. I liked the way this building used the corner.

Red Roofed Church

This church, St. John the Evangelist, is known as the red-roofed church for obvious reasons. I have been to a few concerts there. They also host St. Michael's Mission, which provides support, food, shower facilities,.. particularly to homeless men.

More Music

This is the seventh year that the swings have been set up here in the Quartier des Spectacles. The 21 swings are a creation of Daily tous les jours, in collaboration with animal behaviourist Luc-Alain Giraldeau from UQAM and Radwan Ghazi Moumneh, who composed the score of this fun installation. (from http://www.quartierdesspectacles.com/en/activity/8811/21-balancoires-21-swings#newsletter). Each swing emits a different note and, apparently at night they also emit colours. What a delightful place to stop a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment