Monday, June 3, 2013

Irises

Irises by susanvg
Irises, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
I've been doing a lot of walking in my new neighbourhood. The gardens bring me delight and this year's irises are stunning. I've always loved irises - their deep purples and hidden details. I have pots of flowers on my balcony - but none of these perennials. But then - no weeding to do, and many gardens to enjoy!

I climb the hilly streets nearby and stop briefly to snap photos along the way. I've been challenging myself to get in better shape and the hills help. So do a couple of apps. I bought a Fitbit - trying to walk 10000 steps or more daily and succeed most days. It also records flights of stairs (hills count) and the hills give me at least 19 flights by the time I finish. I've also been using RunKeeper (in my case I record walks). It records distance in miles as well as elevation. My last morning walk was 4.3k (2.7 miles) and up to 91m (300 ft) climb. I like seeing the stats so I can work to better myself.

As long as it doesn't get too hot, I'll keep this up.

2 comments:

  1. Do you like the Fitbit? I got the bracelet when it first came out and returned it - didn't like wearing it. However, a friend just got the clip-on and it seems less clunky and more wearable/usable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really enjoying my fitbit (the clip-on variety) and of course, as soon as I wrote about it, I lost it! I am not as motivated a fitness buff as you are and I find it encourages me to walk more. So I have now ordered a new one.

      Delete