Saturday, June 8, 2013

Grand Prix Weekend

Grand Prix Weekend by susanvg
Grand Prix Weekend, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
It's Grand Prix weekend in Montreal. It brings out the testosterone in many. Wealthy people, and others, converge on the city for one of the most consumer oriented weekends of the year here. High end restaurants are full and it seems high end shops do their best business. Parts of downtown are closed off with booths set up (very commercial with lots of advertising). The noise level is high as music is blasted through speakers. And the race will bring more noise as the cars can be heard from quite far off. Trucks cruise the streets hauling giant advertising .


IMG_0519           IMG_0520

Contrast this with the street festival near my home. Similar booths are set up - but this time displaying the work of local artists. There is face painting, a sidewalk sale (not too many of those very expensive items enticing the Grand Prix crowd) and a giant cat for kids to play in. Live musicians play a more mellow kind of music. Guess which one appealed to me most ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I'll see you at the street festival, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not a fan of the sound of loud engine, but I like the music Truth by T-Square, which is used as the theme music of Japanese TV coverage of F1 Grand Prix. I prefer quieter street festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Susan,
    I think I would find you around the giant cat. Looks fun!
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete