Friday, December 16, 2011

Gone

Gone by susanvg
Gone, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.

There was a house here. In fact, I knew the people who lived here. I'm amazed that people would buy a house only to demolish it and build anew. I understand renovating; I understand adding on. But to pay the price for a property only to totally demolish is astonishing to me.

We'll see what appears, how it fits in with the neighbourhood. I can't help but feel a little piece of history is missing. I like the fact that my house has been lived in by others. I hope the next buyers will value some of the little touches I leave behind and then put their mark on it. Houses carry history.

2 comments:

  1. I live in a house lived in by me, my parents, my grandparents and great-grandparents. It saddens me to think that if I sell it someone is likely to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there will be no stories for this new house until they create their own...tough to build good ones when you've torn down the foundation.

    ReplyDelete