Sunday, December 4, 2011

Downy Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker by susanvg
Downy Woodpecker, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
A walk on Mount Royal always brings delight. The bird feeders have been filled, bringing chickadees to peck at the seeds, while underneath the squirrels gorge on the seeds that fall.

This downy woodpecker, visible without the foliage was flitting from branch to branch, foraging. He was pecking at the smaller branches so the rap-tapping was quiet.

Through the Branches

The air was nippy, with most walkers bundled in winter jackets, hats and gloves. The occasional jogger trotted past in shorts. I admire their fortitude and think back to my youth when I had to wear a tunic to school.  It was not chic to wear long pants under your tunic (even though you had to take them off at school) and knee socks were in, so I foolishly shivered while waiting for buses, with my bare legs under my just over the knee-length tunic. That was about the last time I have given in to fashion over warmth!

I love the way the bare branches open up the view, making buildings and the river visible. It's an ever-changing place with our many seasons.

4 comments:

  1. Love that last chilly city shot, Susan. As you can see, I'm taking a bit of a break from my blogging break. I'm cheating and visiting a few friends. My little grandchildren sometimes run outside barefooted in the freezing cold to welcome us. Oh, the carefreeness of youth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Susang.
    The woodpecker looks lonely.I like to wear warmer clothes in winter! When I was young it was not same as now.
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like bare trees standing proudly, stretching their branches to the skies. Small critters and the cityscape through bare branches are wonderful to see. I can’t go out without heat-tech items (by UNIQLO) in winter these years. Stay warm, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos on this post. The downy woodpecker shot is great! I have also become fascinated with the tangles, patterns, and thoughts that branches and other gifts of nature give us. Nature is so beautiful and the longer you view it, the more you see there is to view. That's a gift of this photography habit. You see so much more than you ever would... You put it well with your blog name "Through My Eyes"!

    ReplyDelete